Here at Blueberry Dental Practice we pride ourselves on using the latest techniques and we actively encourage preventative methods which we believe helps our patients to understand how to maintain the health of your mouth and keep it free of cavities and gum disease.
Gum disease (also known as Periodontal Disease) can occur at any age, but it is most common among adults and it is still a major cause of tooth loss in adults.
In recent years gum disease has been linked with serious health problems such as diabetes, strokes, cardiovascular disease, poor pregnancy outcomes and even dementia. Although more research is needed to understand how these links work, there is more and more evidence that having a healthy mouth and gums can help improve your general health.
If detected in its early stages, gum disease can be reversed so do visit your dentist if you notice any of the following symptoms:
- Gums that are red, puffy or swollen, or tender
- Gums that bleed during brushing or flossing
- Teeth that look longer because your gums have receded
- Gums that have separated, or pulled away, from your teeth, creating a pocket
- Changes in the way your teeth fit together when you bite
- Pus coming from between your teeth and gums
- Constant bad breath or a bad taste in your mouth
Gum Disease and Smoking: Smoking can also make gum disease worse. People who smoke are more likely to produce bacterial plaque, which leads to gum disease. The gums are affected because smoking causes a lack of oxygen in the bloodstream, so the infected gums don't heal. Smoking causes people to have more plaque and the gum disease to get worse more quickly than in non-smokers. Gum disease is still a major cause of tooth loss in adults.
Our solutions for Gum Disease:
- Dental Hygienist Visit
- Oral Health Education Session
- Periodontal Cleaning
Visit our Case studies for more information and real life example on the disease and the applicable treatment.