Now here’s a reason to smile…. it is officially National Smile Month!
Blueberry Dental Surgery is celebrating National Smile Month, the UK longest running campaign to promote oral health. Here are 3 key messages from Oral Health Foundation to improve our smile as well as consequences of not looking after your oral health:
How to improve your smile:
- Brush your teeth last thing at night and on at least one other occasion with a fluoride toothpaste.
- Cut down on how much sugary food and drink you have, and how often you have them.
- Visit your dentist regularly, as often as they recommend.
Ultimately, the aim is to help us achieve good physical and mental wellbeing by improving our oral health.
Consequences of disregarding the health of your smile:
The National Oral Health Foundation have presented several consequences of not looking after your oral health. One main issue is gum disease which causes infection and this can lead to more serious health problems such as heart disease, stroke, pregnancy, respiratory illnesses, dementia, and can worsen your oral health if you have diabetes.
Gum disease symptoms are:
- Inflammation of gums, making them red, swollen and to bleed easily, particularly during teeth brushing.
- Bad taste and breath in the mouth.
- Loose teeth.
- Infections that happen often in the mouth.
Note: Smoking also affects the health of your mouth and gums