We floss because brushing on its own is not enough to remove the bacteria from in-between our teeth. These bacteria are the cause of gum disease.
- Pick up a fair bit of floss (arm to arm length)
- Wrap the floss around your index fingers few times so the floss bit is no more than 12 cm
- Use thumbs to manipulate floss when cleaning upper teeth
- Use middle fingers to manipulate floss when cleaning lower teeth
- It is easier to floss when you have a small piece of floss in-between your fingers
- The finger inside your mouth should stay stationary
- Always floss up and down – avoid ‘sawing’ effect